Cheers to the first day of Summer! And farewell to a productive and delicious Spring full of seasonal eating at its best. Runaway Apricot kicked off the season with Rhubarb Upside-Down Cornbread and the vegetable comes full-circle now with this spiced jam, also adapted from Saveur. While the cornbread is best enjoyed right away, you can hold onto the sweetly spiced flavor of rhubarb for weeks with this quick preserve. Putting up also helps as the summer lazies sink in – just spread on toast for a tasty morning. Hoard it for the month or share this super delicious treat with a friend.
- 1½ pounds rhubarb stalks, cut into 1"-2" pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 2" piece peeled ginger
- Sterilize 2 1-pint jars, or a collection of smaller jars by submerging into a pot of boiling water. Drain and set aside to dry.
- Place rhubarb, sugar, ginger and 1 cup of water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally and skim white foam from top as syrup begins to thicken, about 15 minutes.
- Strain rhubarb over a bowl and return syrup and ginger to saucepan. Continue to simmer syrup until very thick, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat and discard ginger. Stir rhubarb into syrup and cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour jam in jars, seal, and let stand at room temperature to set. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 month.